From the Program of the Workers Party
October 9, 2014
The Workers Party calls on all progressive people to use the election period and beyond to join with us in strengthening the political party of the working class and rallying people around the independent program of economic rights, democratic renewal, a democratic foreign policy and socialism.
Every person, simply by virtue of her/his humanity is entitled to certain fundamental economic rights:
– the right to food, clothing and shelter;
– the right to a job or a livelihood, including income security in retirement or in the event of accident or injury;
– the right to comprehensive, free health care;
– the right to the best possible education from pre-K through the university.
The very starting point of the economy and the economic policy of the government must be to guarantee these rights in practice.
Democratic Foreign Policy
– The immediate end of all aggressive wars waged by the U.S. government and the withdrawal of all U.S. troops stationed abroad;
– An end to U.S. interference and intervention in all its forms, including an end to U.S. support for reactionary regimes and military alliances;
– Recognition of the sovereignty and equality of every country and people;
– An end to the militarization of the our country.
– The political stranglehold of the monopolies must be broken and new means found to empower the people. The people must have a direct role in governance through referendum, initiative and recall. Political parties must be deprived of the privilege of nominating the candidates and this right must be returned to the people.
– Every individual, regardless of sex, nationality, country of origin, belief, must be guaranteed, in practice, equal rights in all spheres of life.
– The oppressed and minority nationalities must have the right to develop their own language, culture and identity. The oppressed nations, such as Puerto Rico, must have the right to self-determination, including the right to secession.